Saturday, October 31, 2009

Gods: Those in the kitchen (and, yes, those at the Shell station)

The none too subtle point of my earlier post today was that adventure needn't carry us far at all, though they certainly may, and have, in my life as well. But, boundaries mark and crisscross us daily, inviting/invoking the possibilities for Grace at all turns.

The three of us have begun a new adventure in a home we recently purchased - our first as a family, my fourth as a wanderer. It is a 42-year-old house, and we are its second owners. It feels like a gift to us in so many ways, a beautiful home tucked beneath beautiful trees in front and back, and beds lovingly gardened by the 93-year-old woman who sold it to us, to begin her new journey with family in North Carolina.


I mowed the yard for the first time this afternoon, under a Texas-blue sky, with a lovely fall breeze. Carved a couple of pumpkins for Walden and his visiting amigo, and then puttered outside. I do not putter, and of late in drought-ridden Texas, I do not "outside." But outside I did today, and puttered, and were a truce possible with the rainy day mosquitoes, I would be hammocking my way through these lazy afternoons.


But, none of these things, and none of the predictable hoopla that attends the buying of and moving into a house truly felt like this house had moved inside my skin. That came this evening with a fifteen-second pirouette from one side of the kitchen to the other to fetch a water glass from the cabinet behind me. The move was so fluid and felt like something I had been doing for years in this kitchen and would continue to do for many years to come. Something so simple, filled with history flooding.


I find that Grace falls on me like this quite often. Unmistakable steppings out of and steppings through that are "nothing more" than the simplest of living prayers. As I've said before, Yemaya was always wont to visit me when I least expected it, most often while staring off into a big blue Austin sky, while pumping gas at the Shell station at the corner of South Congress and Riverside Drive, blessing me with life out of time, just as today's kitchen goddess did the same in her sock feet on the tile of this casita in Tres Leches.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Anonymous Teresa said...

Blessings on you and your home and your family, Murat. So glad you've come to rest and nest. May you have many years of happiness and memories there.

9:35 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Grace is like that, always unexpected; easy to miss... I'm glad you caught your moment in that kitchen dance: a gracious housewarming welcome. Sounds like you've found a perfect fit.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

I know those moments. The ones where just for a fleeting second you step out of time and your whole being says thank you to God because you know that given the choice of all the choices possible you would not be any other place in any other time than in that one moment. It ALWAYS is a moment like that dance across the kitchen floor - something unremarkable accept for it's remarkableness and it's attending gratitude. Blessings on the new home and your family - may there be many more moments of grace.

10:31 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Thank you for the blessings and the card, Teresa.

6:51 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: The fit is good and quite magical (both in the being here and in the finding).

6:52 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Thank you, Dee: I love your explication of what it is, the beauty and grace of the ordinary...

6:54 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Oh a new (old) house that feels like yours already! How wonderful :)
I'm so jealous that you even have the possibility of a hammock, no matter what insects populate the place :) The most I can aspire to is a little chair in the balcony.

6:17 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Hello, Devilish One! So good to hear from you. The house is wonderful, but I still wouldn't develop any hammock-envy. Tres Leches mosquitoes are mighty ornery, and mighty hungry...

6:30 PM  
Blogger Laura Leach said...

Been waiting for this post. Deep exhale on this end, it is as good as I imagined.

4:56 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Sister Laura: And according to my calculations, you and Dave will soon be a-visiting.

6:02 PM  
Blogger jsd said...

That is truly awesome! The 4 amigos are very happy for y'all :)

12:12 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Hola, las/os amigas/os vermontinas/os! A wonderful new development, and by the way, twas the WonderFolk's lawnmower that did the mowing...

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Ah, what a lovely story, and praise them all for your gift of grace.

12:11 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Grace all around, Richard. Good morning to you.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous missalister said...

That is so cool, the pirouette thing! I can kind of know what that was like, for some reason besides having experienced it, because I haven’t, not in any house or place. I’ve never felt wholly-no-question at home anywhere. I don’t “outside” either, except for exercise and work! But with this bright light of a post I can see you well, puttering about and, sorry, but the word “cute” came to mind… Here, let me try again at expressing myself: this writing of yours—of the timing and love of this particular house and the blessing of you three finding, tending, and becoming it—charmed me, left me glowing. Better : )

7:39 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Wonderful birthday present from you this morning, Muchness. I likes the visioning and the wordplay. House as home is a wunnerful thing; house in skin is even better: surely you have felt and feel that: you are, after all, the QOT. Much love to you, and thanks for the brightening.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous missalister said...

Ah but I haven’t ever and don’t feel it. I’m an alien here ; ) Now then, there’s more brightening over at the QOT’s site…

5:38 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Sister A: I know there ain't no talkin' you down from that position, that felt truth. All I can say - again - is that I love you.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous missalister said...

And you also know I’d say the love’s mutual if I wasn’t such a big psycho-chicken; but since I am, I’ll just say that I’ll be smiling as I’m feeling my way home : )

5:47 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Muchness: Didn't Talking Heads sing Psycho-Chicken? I know you're smilin', cher.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Murat,

Your words are such a treat, every time, every rhyme, every rhythm, every beat.

And you had me at that pirouette.

It is so great to visit; you are always the consummate host, plying us with tasty tidbits, mind-liberating libations, and deafing repasts, which, like tryptophan-heavy turkey, stuff us and sending us onwards to sultry dream-time.

There are a few people out e-here that I would love to get in room, and feed, and listen to the conversation. I could be satiated on the collective words, I know. You, Richard, Miss Alister, Teresa, Devil Mood, and a few others whom I don't think you know. Thank you for all that you share. And good luck on the puttering amidst the pattering.

Tschuess,
Chris

PS I loved your poetic edits for Teresa

10:10 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Chris: Good to have you back in the tribal mix. Short of sitting down together, it's quite wonderful to converse as we do, across all manner of no-longer-obstacles. Thanks for your take on the edits, too.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home