Saturday, April 17, 2010

Samba Saturday

The post title is not my own; borrowed it from the KSYM bossa nova radio show that was playing as Walden, his friend Sebastiano, and I floated the monsoon streets this morning, from S' house, to Starbucks where we waited for the Brookhollow biblioteca to open at 10, and then on home to (truly) Running Creek. Brazilian music, or Brazilian-influenced music, has long been a love of mine. A few samples, from pop to classic.

Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66. This is where it started for me; not this song, though deejay Bobby J played it this morning. I was already hooked by their Equinox album, with "Chove Chuva" and "Mais Que Nada"; as Bobby J said, their "rather uninspired" version of TLOL still caught on and sold millions for them. I don't know about uninspired; Equinox was anything but: they came out with everything they had on that disc.



Marcos and Anamaria Valle. I'd never heard this before; Bobby J said a listener of his once called this the "coolest little song ever." Very cool, very simple: completely infectious.



Stan Getz. SG's classic bossa nova albums were lurking in my mother's vast record collection when I finally made my way into the jazz section. I've always loved the classic Getz/Gilberto album, but his Sweet Rain album is probably still my favorite of all his albums. By the time I "found" this, I'd already been smitten by Chick Corea's Return to Forever, his collaboration with Gary Burton, and his own "solo" post-RTF albums. To my mind, this album is as much Chick's as it is Stan's. Even though this number is not the title cut, it's always seemed perfect for a rainy day: Chick's long solo, racing away with Grady Tate's drums right beside, is nothing but sweet rain in all its tempos.



Postscript: Years ago in New Orleans, my first time in the pizza parlor Pie in the Sky on Magazine Street, what should erupt from the speakers but "Chove Chuva." Seems that each time I went back (and you know I went back) they were playing yet more awesome music from my life's soundtrack.

Okay, I guess it's only fair:


Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Great music to wake me up. Gotta get the brain cells to shift gears into homework mode. Hopefully this has helped a little. But maybe all it did was get me boogiein' down. Oh well, could be worse.

1:32 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: As the music kept piling up, I was fearful it might waylay you.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

No more so than I waylaid myself. It made me quite happy though and that was a good thing.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

I didn't remember Chove Chuva when I listened to Miriam but Sergio Mendez clicked. Al great stuff. Rainy day here too.

9:55 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: "Constant [was] the rain" yesterday. We're supposedly in for some more this morning, then breaking this afternoon. The creek is restored down at the Tobin Trail, so much so that the trail is under water.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Are you working on your ark, Murat? Hope you all stay dry and safe.

2:43 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

All is well, Teresa: just some much-needed replenishing rains. The trail has re-emerged; Walden and just got back from an evening hike.

7:54 PM  
Blogger jsd said...

Yet another group to add to my wish list - thanks for sharing :)

7:57 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

You are welcome, jsd. Good to go retro.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I came back to listen to this whole post :)
What a fun song that 2nd one!

And amazing how everything about the Chove Chuva song reflects the sounds of the rain, even the words themselves chove, chuva.

5:32 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

DM: I agree with both your points: how fun the cricket song is, and how incredibly Chove Chuva captures the rain.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home