Saturday, April 10, 2010

burroughs musing . . .

Anyone else think that Fagen is the postmodern Dracula? SD has long been lechery's finest hour. My favorite of Gaucho's many favorite tracks. Long years ago in Austin, my crush on Julie Christensen was sustained by her cover of this with the heartbreakingly short-lived Minor Miracle. JC went on to a long-lived collaboration with Leonard Cohen, which I suppose is better for her, but I've always preferred SD's decadence to LC. While we're into the chisme, I should mention that author Rikki Ducornet (whose writing class at Gemini Ink I took several years back) is the inspiration for SD's less than iridescent (compared to Aja and Gaucho) "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number." RD and Fagen (and I think Walter, too) were all at Bard College together.

Great song to start a road trip . . .


Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Teresa said...

Interesting trivia. Great song to set the mood for translation and homework... Now I've got to shake the old brain muscles.

12:54 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: As the background singers say: you've got to shake it baby, you've got to shake it . . .

So, good song for road trips and translating mood-sets.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

this was a nice mellow change from Celtic rock. Got some nice Steely Dan memories.

6:56 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Had an old Gaucho tape in my glove compartment. Put it in the tape player and played it all the way up I-10 last night to Welfare, Texas for the Instituto's annual gala auction at the Don Strange Ranch. Great road music.

7:36 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Tape player? In a car?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

haha - that's okay. I still remember albums and a time when 8-tracks were the "newest" thing. I had a clunker that rained rust on you every time you hit a bump but it had a working 8-track player in it.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home