Thursday, April 15, 2010

most apple manna

The manna today came via Gertrude Stein. One of the minions suggested that the Stein of "Tender Buttons" is a lot harder to write than you think. It was a beautiful insight, from a jazz-oriented freshmore mind. Some of us riffed off of the inimitable GS, while a few tried their hand at riffing on Marilyn Hacker's "Blues" poem, she of the "curdy belly."

My riff on Ms Gertrude:

[i suppose it needs a title]

i have no idea no idea my name is bonet i have no idea and no ideas have me I am so being had by the no ideas in my head, erupting Vesuviuses that prolong the barge down the misery Rhine of backpedaling indulgence. The Pope was a vision before she was ever a Pope, with her fingerlilies and Tidy Bowl pancakes all up & down the liquid Versailles. Camouflage my pains, cried the quiet goose, lamentations in the principal's office, before the sturdy Board. She asked if we were Maximus - do we look like a movie?, we cried. Do we have the yellow cloaks necessary to bisect the obtuse angle? Visionary coffeeshops, truculent beasties eating the apple people who squire away all my lasting memories. I cannot think what could possibly come next, my name is bonet i have no idea . . .

[One of the minions, when given the "prompt," predictably responded with "i have no idea." I used her as my prompt, changing her name to protect her innocence.]

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Dee Martin said...

and what did the truculent beastie have to say about being an apple eating prompt LOL - I would have to join the lamentations in the principals office on this one. I have the ideas but not the ability to sustain them! I am right there with her on the being had by the no ideas in her head. I hate when that happens.
tidy bowl pancakes?? everything else - very cool.

7:15 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Sister Dee: Like Ms. "Bonet," you undersell your ability to free associate. Or I underestimate my own skill at doing so. I'm sure it's the former, not the latter. It's a trust fall on paper: how hard is that? Ms "Bonet's" penchant runs to sloth, which is hardly your affliction. When she backs herself into a corner, she's a very agile and deeply insightful writer.

I'm trying not to think too far into the Tidy Bowl pancakes. Trying not to think at all, for that matter.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Just don't BITE into the Tidy Bowl pancakes!! They could be deadly.

9:42 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

T: Point taken. We'll take the necessary precautions. And the unnecessary ones, too.

10:49 PM  
Blogger San said...

"I'm fresh out of yellow cloaks to bisect the obtuse angle." Guess that means "out of ideas." Brilliantly so.

5:39 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: Which is, of course, exactly where Ms "Bonet" started. Good to have you join the round.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home