Sunday, May 23, 2010

poem

Found object in Nick Flynn's The Ticking is the Bomb: a prompt, from a piece of paper he found on the floor in a school hallway: All living things have shoulders. The only words on the discarded page. He tries to write a poem incorporating the line, then contends that the line - period - is the poem. He's probably right, but what the hey:

[blob & foot]

All living things have shoulders

Stentor, Blepharisma, Bursaria, Vorticella

Euglena & Volvox & rotifers

(
If you study pond water samples, you will see rotifers)
Proteus - that classic high school protozoan -

Four-year letterman, Beta Club,

Science Club VP

Shouldering up to the bar at

Day's end, Oasis

In the midst of brouhaha

Calcification yet a dream

Glory daze long past

The morning's vigils

The everdreams

Calling to blob

& foot & flagella

Heavy brooding through

The night's stem, till

Last call sounds

Like the rumble of time

in the axials &

mercy finds the near

& dear,

need & desire,

envy & want.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

I'm chuckling about the thought of protozoa with shoulder pads.

10:23 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: I should have italicized that classic high school protozoan, as the words were cribbed right off a site dedicated to microscopic "critters" one can find in a pond. It helped give me a leg up on those shoulders.

10:59 AM  
Blogger San said...

Love the way this tapers down to the graceful stem of mercy. "Everdreams"--a really good word, especially in such proximity to "blob." There's knowingness there, Paschal. Lovely.

1:37 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Always good to have your words, San. Must be doings over at The View; gotta go check things out!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

I'm having a Disney-esque vision of Fantasia of the amoeba, rainbow colored single celled animals performing synchronized swimming to Bach. Brouhahas and glory daze and everdreams - magical stuff that! Another poet introduced. The few I found online went places I've never been. I liked the visit but I don't think I'd want to live there.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

So what kind of cars does a "classic high school protozoan" drive in Tres Leches? Does it go to sock hops, do the twist? It's gotta have knees to go with those shoulders.

2:33 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

No disrespect to the awesomely talented Mr. Flynn, but those sure look like shoulders to me on Ms. Peranema. Tiny, mind: probably a bit of an eating disorder. It's tough being a microorganism these daze . . .

3:00 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: Gotta have knees to be Science Club VP, for sure. All that scrambling around the ponds. Orange Bronco on the wheels front. Them protozoans iz big boyz.

3:03 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: I'm not concerned about Mr. Nick. I wandered into his memoir yesterday and something about it captured me: I liked the "Alan Dugan" poem because it (and a lot of his narrative writing) conflates all the paper scraps in his mind's rodent's nest (he might prefer monkey mind): as a veteran conflater myself, I felt some kinship. Liked the rabbit hole I fell into.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home