Tuesday, July 07, 2009

olson: mina loy

[salma hayek wore leaves in her hair, too]

mina loy
back from the dead
hot blooded femme fatale of the
frothing pee in your pants penn set
– ezra pound and wild bill williams –
ezra in mina flesh
big hands shaking like sycamore leaves
wild bill
dour
frenzied
just wanting to leave altogether

mina loy
walks out of the
cardboard brown campus of
the National Institute of Technology
thinking of a career change, she is
leaving surface design
leaving fiber art
leaving the poetry that made old ezra
froth and foam
thinking of information technology, she is
man with a knit shirt, necktie, and cowboy boots
sez
for 12 months and $22,000
you’re talkin’ $35,000 to start, minimum
he tried ma’am once, but she stopped that
this purveyor of cheese
soft hands like dear Arthur
before he stepped off the boat
into the emerald Gulf
sunken stone at the bottom of her dreams
her heart
her migraines

mina loy catches
the 92 bus
down Fredericksburg Road
wonders
as she rides down
the avenue of pawn
just how much
her stolen ezra pound manuscript will fetch
at cash america
after the pell grant & ezra
how much of that $22,000 balance
will be left

mina loy
who once wore leaves
in her hair and on naked flesh
under the hot glare of a husband
with bad teeth and not enough sense
mina loy
in the old folks and infirm section
of the 92 bus
beside the drooling man
in her pillbox hat
riding the avenue of lost dreams
back from a dead that was
london
paris
florence
milan
the five boroughs
mina loy
like lean keith richards and his bloody pal mick
thinks:
it’s only rock and roll
but i like it
woodlawn avenue
thomas jefferson high school
peacock academy
josephine tobin’s fat wiggle round the lake
mina loy thinks
leave NIT to rudy and his tony lamas
gimme the woodlawn theater
kick out the actor’s studio
we’ll have vietnamese on wednesdays
the drooling man film series on fridays
draw up a new manifesto
johnny guitar watson on the box
superman lover
well
Johnny g fell down went boom forever on stage
singing that one.

14 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

This is a lot to absorb in one day!

1:00 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

T: I know: I shoulda been watchin' the Jackson festivities.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

No, no. anything but that. The coffin is gold-plated (according to my LA news blogroll).

3:10 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: But, I heard Stevie wuz gonna be playin'. Gonna have to check it all out on YouTube. I can fast forward through the dreck.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

That's the only way to go.

4:20 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

T: Looks stainless steel to me. Magic's KFC story is the best thing I've seen so far. The brother brought the Magic vibe.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

You've been on a roll and in the flow with all this. Spent a bit of time on wikipedia which helped - working on my education :)

I like getting the references but I also like just letting it flow and seeing the images in my head.

10:44 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Glad you've joined the ride. I hope they work with or without the backstories, cuz I sure ain't stickin' to the facts. Still, ML and CO and Mr. Crane are good folks to know on their own. So is Van, but since he's a Superhero, I've very little on his provenance.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Richard Wells said...

I can't bring myself to watch the show. I know it's America at its most bizarre, and right up there with OJ but I'm too far away from TV at the moment - even though there's a big screen panasonic about 4' from where I'm typing. They'll all meet in some heaven, Michael Jackson, OJ, Princess Di, David Carradine (playing a supporting role,) and with any luck someone like Murat will be listening in. I love these Olson pieces from top to bottom. This place you're constructing, familiar foreign all at once - Desolation Row, but a much bigger canvas, and a deeper look at your own cast of characters. Wow, that's all.

12:16 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

I hear you, Richard. I was appalled at all the Princess Di hoopla that swept through Austin while I was living there: Austin and English privilege? WTF? And yet, I did have to go find Stevie on YouTube: heartfelt, but playing one of my least favorite SW songs. I may not be an MJ fanatic, but I've come to realize that my fanaticisms are just as strong and rampant: they just don't run with a Staples Center-sized cohort and they're not splashed all over CNN (if they were, I'd probably drop them, licketysplit). But, I'm as crazy for Chuck and Mina and Hart as Ms Barrientos in Austin was for Di.

I'm very glad that you're enjoying the Olson pieces.

10:16 AM  
Blogger anno said...

This one was like drifting down the river on a sleepy summer day; made me feel that hot, slow haziness that always seems like the best of summer. I want to go back and figure out the references, but right now that seems too much like thinking.

On MJ: there are times I'm glad we don't get any television reception out here; the internet barrage is bad enough.

1:06 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: I like your drifting notion. Much of this poem was composed while drifting down Fredericksburg Road on the 92, a bus line well-suited to drifting, and musing, and summery naps.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous missalister said...

I really like this one, every word of it, and how you are what I’ll call “stringing up” the Mina and Olson story in different forms like a string of different sized bulbs and lit shapes like chili peppers and cactuses and stars strung up at a crazy-wonderful cantina.

5:24 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lady A: This poem was a fun ride down F-burg Road on the 92, a pilgrim's way, if there ever was one; I love it myself. And I love your crazy-cantina vision. This may just turn into another 37th Street AustinTejas.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home