Friday, November 25, 2011

poem: ever my tangled

Portuguese Saturdays &
I wanna be a vegemite girl
Heyday visions, the grey highways
Down the deal-making overtures
You make your way through
Blue alleys, gallivanting
The miseries, the Hugos
The Victors, the caveats,
Caviling vestries, blooming
Rooms, glooming blooms
Down the ashstruck walkways:
Cherish your memories, mes amis,
The visions deep-fried,
Freezer-burned into wrists,
Thighs, calves, penetrating the
Deep, the cavalry brigades gathering
For recompense, softening
The heart’s fissures, polar
Perambulations, dreaming the flowered
Adumbrations, I will dream of you,
You dream of me, sample
Scores of halcyon daze
Snide murky murmurs fading,
Easter bonnets de rigueur, as we
Shimmy down the avenues
With bristling prides fading
You were ever my sympathique
You are ever my tangled stream
You will come to be my cantilevered,
Mowgli-engineered,
Vegematic
Dream.


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger anno said...

Besides the wonderful line, "I wanna be a vegemite girl," I especially enjoyed the hairpin turn of phrase in "The miseries, the Victors/ the Hugos, the caveats.." Also, again, the caveat: the caviling calves and calvary that gather into the tangled stream to become your cantilevered, vegematic dream. Lots of fun in this one, Mr. B. May all of your Saturdays be Portuguese. And Happy Thanksgiving to all of you there in Tres Leches!

1:16 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Stole/borrowed the vegemite line from a co-feaster yesterday (I could feel the line poem coming on even then) and then this morning I passed a language school advertising "Portuguese Saturdays" on the marquee. Ba-boom.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

This is a very cool poem, written on a good day for consuming vegemite after yesterday carnivorous adventures. I had quite a laugh at the idea of bearded postal service employees shimmying down the alleys in Easter bonnets. You have lots of good images, bro.

Enjoy your Portuguese Saturaday manana.

8:47 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa:

Vegemite indeed! You mean your local postfolk don't shimmy bearded down the alleyways bonnet-clad? What is this world coming to, girl?

11:33 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

Despite the triptophan induced halcyon daze things are boogying around Tres Leches. My sketchy vocabulary sent me dancing over to google for Adumbrations, I love the memories freezer-burned into all. Loved all the places this took me.

12:25 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Freezer-burn is, after all, where's it's at, though without the vegemite girl and portuguese saturdays, this poem might never have achieved lift-off. Thank the gods for eavesdropping and drive-bys.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Intriguing beginning haha :)
This portuguese saturday was rainy and cold, family meals and not much boogie in the nightlife ;)
Good to be here, Paschal!

6:04 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Welcome, Sag girl! Getting very close to your nativity! I should probably stop in at the language school here for their Portuguese Saturdays. Google Translate definitely leaves something to be desired as a language "teacher."

Rainy and cold here, too: given how seldom that happens, though, we consider it a blessing!

Duffy or Adele? My vote's still with Duffy.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Yes it is and recently it dawned on me that I had missed your nativity. I'm sorry. Hope you had a happy celebratory week, like you usually do :)

My vote is still with Duffy too. Can't really get into Adele, as I usually can't get into big media phenomena.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous paschalbooker said...

All the Adele ballads sound the same to me.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home