Thursday, June 24, 2010

from the archives (January 2007)

Image (Jacques Resch: Regard et Metal)

[Wake the Penance
]

After the raj
& the naked twins
the cessation of hostilities
the resurrection of splendor
negotiation of bliss
retaliation of knowledge at the western gate:

Hollywood dream
bollywood sentimentality
resolution of mist.

Unseemly doings in the doorway
eventual habituations—
“I was aghast at the midnight wake”—

the penance of feeling
down by the juniper purgings
awash in the coming tide,

we followed. The sane
were missed. The reliable were
sanctioned. The
sanctuary exiled in
darkest blood. Cried

the minions, the armies,
the prisoners of time,
the daughters of truth. Thieves

built the prison that
swept us into
the ghosted night.

The star was emerging.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

This is very cool, Murat. Love the part on the Hollywood dream and bollywood sentimentality. The ending few stanzas sent shivers up my spine. Your more contemporary poems are much more free and floating, but I like this style, too. It seems more professorial.

10:08 AM  
Blogger anno said...

Hard to stop reading after those first lines -- a raj? naked twins? who wouldn't be desperate to continue? Love the way the tension builds to the juniper purgings awash in the coming tide, and then all that gorgeously syncopated release: The sane /were missed. the reliable were/ sanctioned. The/ sanctuary exiled in/ darkest blood ... . Beautiful closing line. Music.

12:00 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Thank you, Teresa. I'm not sure about this, but I think I wrote this and some other pieces when I was reading V S Naipaul and his travels through different Muslim states. There was a great deal of despair while "we" traveled through Pakistan.

12:27 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Glad you checked in, Anno. Felt a need for something a bit more substantive than Tori and her daddy line; had to raid the archives to find it.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

retaliation of knowledge
the penance of feeling
awash in the coming tide
resurrection of splendor
sanctuary exiled in darkest blood

just aahhh... definitely substantive - those lines would stand on their own.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

oops ps loved the image too - very steampunkish with a twist :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Good afternoon, Dee. Too much water under the bridge, you know? Who wrote that poem? was the first reaction when I took it out of the trunk.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

I haven't been writing very long but I still get the weirdest feeling when I read something I wrote at the start. I usually ask myself the same question.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home