Monday, June 21, 2010

poem: rank and file

[rank and file]

Farah called Tori on
the Daddy line
shook the china
jazzed the jacuzzi
buzzed the itinerant left
of center:
carrie/miranda, celestial
queens of the grassy
knoll, all in
a slather:
cottonwood mirth,
steelhead blather:
7 in line
for the connection:
Di to her babies
Sir Doug to his floundering quintet
niven to cantinflas
j p sousa to the rank and file
cast of partridge family to oblivion
fender to the last teardrop;
Shelley Duvall broke
the line, not yet
posted to the sweet
hereafter, though times
feeling it, days up
laurel canyon, Altman
still babbling in her ear,
no Daddy line, just
incessant flush,
festooned gadabout -
it ached, those nights
in colorado, on
the verge, ducks
in a row, terminal plastic -
she off it or it
off her, she'd given up
that chickenegg
burrito
quandary:
now was the time
to file away
the bits and pieces, all
the inherent flesh,
the little piggies, too,
settle for less,
an audacious decline in
her Queen of Sweden
Sunday
best.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Well you are a feral pup, consigning the partridge family to oblivion. This is a fun one. I liked skipping along down its audacious decline in my Queen of England Monday best. Who is the queen for Tuesday?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

also at fb post : this read like the pied piper of entertainment dancing through the streets leading all the little piggies into the sea. Then I got stuck on the pic - who or what is HRP lol - investments?? I was hooked with the first four lines, then you hit me with celestial queens of the grassy knoll, fender's last teardrop, terminal plastic and chicken egg burrito quandary. Brain cells still dancing!
I didn't think to check and see if you had posted here as well as fb. Glad you are getting some writing exposure elsewhere though so I don't mind commenting both places. Sounds like the World cup is not the only thing you have been watching!

4:16 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: I'm glad you called me out as the feral pup: it fits. Are you QE I or II? (I know: I needn't ask. Sorry for the unintended insult.) Tuesday's queen is indubitably Latifah.

7:12 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Tori Spelling channeling Farah Fawcett got lodged in my brain a few days ago and wouldn't quit; ditto the SvergeQueen and her "former" personal trainer. Thankfully, a steamy morning hike down the Tobin, complete with a storm of bugchatter, helped shake this all out.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I'm QE III. QE I had those uncomfortable high ruffs that I just abhor. QE II is either an ocean liner (I'm not that fat) or a corgie lover, and I don't like corgies, so I'm QE III, soon to be QE :)

8:02 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Summertime must be here, if you've got the celestial queens of the grassy knoll dancing down the wire, or at least all in a slather -- good times for all when the worst ahead of us is the chicken egg burrito quandary.

Love Dee's characterization of this piece (of you?) as the "pied piper of entertainment"; it gets at that amazing quality of yours to take a deep breath and write wherever your inspiration takes you.

Happy Solstice!

8:16 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: Well said. And I should have known.

Don't like corgis? We visited with a delightful pair yesterday. Nevertheless, you IS the III.

8:22 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Happy for your visit, Anno. There is so much by which to be entertained in this numinous (or should that be "newman!-ous"?) world of Tori and her Psychic Friends Hotline. Of course, the truth of the matter is that, had I been engaging (as I have in the past) in Tori's bit of channeling, I would certainly not be so catty. In the context of Yahoo!"News", though, things get a bit more "entertaining."

8:29 AM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

in this and so many of your pieces there is such a wonderful rhythm!

10:02 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Mil gracias, MizLee. Mambo rhythms, I hope!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home