Tuesday, April 27, 2010

box lunch

More poems with the freshmores, this time following the lead of long-ago UTSA poet Cathy Bowman, now off to much posher digs at Indiana University. This "prompt" is always a favorite: CB herself was playing with a mistranscription of Memphis Minnie’s classic blues line “I want to be your chauffer”; the line was miscopied in an early Folkways recording song transcription as “I want to be your shoebox.” Our "wannabe song" ranges all over the place and like any good blues song, it plays fast and loose at the edges. We decided to do this as a group poem, everyone chiming in with words and rhymes. CB's original is here, and ours (all the sixth period denizens of the 168) is right behind:

Wannabe Song
(All of Us)

I wanna be your dragon
I wanna be your wagon
I wanna be your pants that are baggin’

I wanna be your t-shirt
I wanna be your pervert
I wanna be your blueberry sherbert

I wanna be your star
I wanna be & wanna steal your car
I wanna be in your jar

I wanna be your pizza
I wanna be your treatza
I wanna be your Jesus

I wanna be your cat
I wanna wear your hat
I wanna sit on your mat

I wanna be your children
I wanna be your women
I wanna put them in a cauldron

I wanna be your poultry
I wanna be your maple tree
I wanna be your big tree

I wanna be your matrix
I wanna be your chex mix
I wanna be your white chicks

I wanna be your train
I wanna be half of your brain
I wanna enter your lane

I wanna be your speaker
I wanna be your creeper
I wanna be your peeper

I wanna be your microphone
I wanna be your homophone
I wanna be your xylophone

I wanna be your stalker
I wanna be your walker
I wanna be your gawker

I wanna be your snake skin
I wanna be in your baby pen
I wanna be your Top Ten

I wanna be your tower
I wanna be your higher power
I wanna smell your flower

I wanna be your pack of wolves
I wanna be the one who drools
I wanna be your sack of jewels

I wanna be your clock
I wanna be your Glock
I wanna touch your sock

I wanna be your Batmobile
I wanna be your spinning wheel
I wanna be your power dreel

I wanna be your Wyatt
I wanna know if you can spy it
Why can’t y’all just be quiet?

I wanna be your skirt
I wanna be your hurt
I wanna rub you in the dirt

I wanna be your CPU
I wanna be your Pepe le Pew
I wanna go all the way around the block with you

I wanna be your worm
I wanna be your perm
I wanna make you squirm

I wanna be your dodgeball dodger
I wanna be your only lodger
I so wanna be your Mister Rogers

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Dee Martin said...

Oh my - I can hear laughter as this was composed! Loving the wolves, drooling and jewels and I could go for a treatza and some chex mix. Their poetic skills are growing daily!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

Oh My - went and read The Journey by Mary Oliver. Cried.

9:18 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: The down side of this wonderful party poem is, how do you follow it up? Predictably, today's session was less than yesterday's merry mayhem, but we will muddle on somehow.

Mary O is the real deal. Read her for months on end a couple of years ago.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

Merry mayhem or muddly days - I feel like I am an unofficial urchin of the 6th period denizens.

10:15 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Definitely the more the merrier, rather than the more the muddier . . .

11:04 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

This was definitely fun!! Is the 6th period coming out with a chap book? It would be better than an annual for them to remember the high points of the year.

4:12 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: Chapbooks, lit mag, writing blog - all wonderful things and things that must be done. We move so fast and furious, particularly at this time of the year: my left brain can't keep up with my right. It will happen . . .

7:37 PM  
Blogger anno said...

I'm hearing the carmina burana... something passionate, unrestrained, relentless... wow! sounds like spring fever has hit your urchins for certain!

8:27 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: Done hit us all. They probably had more fun composing this together than they've had all year. It was a great time coming up with the raucous rhymes, watching them figure out how they could skirt the edges.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

easy WOW, more fun than a ton of blogs! Well, that's not fair, just about anything would be more fun than a ton of blogs. Let's stick with a barrel a monkeys, and that's a fact, pard.

1:16 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Richard: Barrel of monkeys is certainly an apt description of many of my classes: primatial fun.

If you check back into this comment, how to find you these days? For the last two or so weeks, your blog has been gone when I click on your link. Any new url I need to know about?

Be well.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Richard said...

.mac blew my blog up - again - but you haven't missed anything new. I'm tinkering with Los Dos, playing with a new section or two, and after having cancelled the May 6th read through, am trying to figure out how to get something together for the solstice. Anyway, the new home page URL is here: Bundle of His(s)
and you can click on poetry or the dailies for updates.

Thanks for checking!

11:28 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Richard: Good to be able to track you down again. I'll hook you into the blogroll with the new GPS location. Best to you. Glad you're back in the fold.

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home