Saturday, August 22, 2009

Teachers

Floreta over at The Solitary Panda (link in the blogroll) posted a meditation on teachers; she ended by asking about our own transformative teachers. This was the comment I left:

1. John Robert Barth, Jesuit priest, perched atop a lecture hall table in sock feet, reading from Faulkner's Light in August. Political science never had a chance after that.

2. Can't remember his name, but my undergraduate sophomore poli sci seminar leader whose first two assigned books (for poli sci, mind you) were R D Laing's The Politics of Experience and Ram Dass' Remember: Be Here Now. Said grad student had all but abandoned his dissertation to write and recite poetry; I was soon to follow.

3. Bill Wallace, grad student mentor extraordinaire: shaped the therapist I was for 20 years and the teacher I am now.

4. Innumerable clients and students who have taught and inspired me through the years.

5. My wife Tina and my son Walden.

6. Sophie the WonderBullmastiff; Lucia the Neapolitan Mastiff; Thunderheart, the Bighearted and gorgeous red Bullmastiff; Blue the BlueHealing WonderDog.

7. Writers: Grace Paley; Denise Levertov; Campbell McGrath; Charles Olson; Michael Ondaatje; Andre Breton; Mina Loy; Henry Miller; Hoa Nguyen.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Thanks for sharing about your formative teachers. Love the fact that your mastiffs taught you so much.

And I leave you with a Confucian quote for the day: 三人行, 必有我師. When three people walk together, one among them will be my teacher (or will teach me something).

Here's to teachers everywhere gearing up for a new year at school!

1:56 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: Mastiffs are ever fine teachers. Thanks for the Confucius: nice parallel to "whenever two or more are gathered together..."

3:18 PM  
Blogger anno said...

I love this list, especially together with Teresa's Confucian quote; just the thing to get me thinking of one of my own...

4:52 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: Welcome back! (I know you've been back awhile...) I look forward to your list.

5:29 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Might take me a while, but I'll get there ... still chugging kind of slow behind everyone these days.

8:13 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Chug on, Ms Anno. Unless your Julie Powell, ain't no deadlines in Blogovia.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home