Sunday, December 07, 2008

Sunday's Basement Tapes

It's a hodge podge on this wonderfully warm Sunday afternoon. Mary Wells singing my old Supremes favorite from junior high, "Whisper You Love Me, Boy." You wanna comparison, YouTube's got Diana and Flo and Mary to serve up, too. I'd never heard MW's version way back in the days of Norma Torres; it would've been my favorite if I had:



Billy Stewart's "Sitting in the Park." Where was this song in my adolescence? Never heard it, not until about twelve years ago, in my parked Austin car, waiting for somethin', listening to - was it Twine Time on KUT? - and this beauty drops out. No clue who's singing, what the name of the song was, but the words STUCK (they usually don't), and I had a reference point through long years of waiting for YouTube (actually, I think first it was the downtown Tres Leches Starbucks HearMusic bottomless music database) to catch up to my lint collector brain and take me there again. When I first heard it, I thought it had that kind of laidback San Francisco Sunday in the park groove that War used to cook up: no doubt, Billy fed the barbecue to them:



Just because you have to. ? hasn't lost an ounce of righteous attitude, and who else could pull off apricot and cranberry together? "96 Tears." ? and the Mysterians, baby. And Barbie and Ken. He's on top now.



Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert album lived on my turntable (!) back in 1976, here in Tres Leches. YouTube thought I might like this,when I logged in this afternoon. They wuz right. Perhaps you will, too. Nuthin like the other three, but go with it. Keith Jarrett Trio and "My Funny Valentine." I think I've got a Chaka and a Rufus Wainwright version on Paschal's Playlist.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger anno said...

Oh, these look good, but a shared office and headphones that are never where they're supposed to be mean that this list might take me a while to work through. Loved ? and the Mysterians, and looking forward to hearing the rest...

2:54 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

anno: Understood. Have a good time.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Thanks for some fun and wonderful tunes that I have listened to this morning as I frame photography for a new gallery in town.

12:54 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Glad you could enjoy it, Tammie. Always would have loved to have been a dj, college station, late night, wide-ranging.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home