Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Dancing up a river...


I tweaked the playlist just a tad. No disrespect meant to my cherished Scorpio siblings Neil and Joni, but Joni's "Free Man in Paris" was feeling just a bit out of place in the progression, and with the new addition of Herbie Hancock's tribute cover of "Court and Spark" to close out the set, Neil's "I am a Child" felt a bit out of place, too. Neil will come back, as will Joni's own Joni, but for now, this is the way it will sit.

I wrote about the amazing tribute album (River) to Ms Joni some months ago, after I stumbled onto its opening cut one gloriously dark and cold morning on the way to the Instituto. So wonderful was the arrangement that it had me stumped at first by its unfamiliar familiarity, with a similar feeling about Norah's voice. I love this treatment: Wayne Shorter's playing is wonderfully lush, Herbie's gorgeous piano underneath, and then, for me, a lovely raggedness to Norah's voice as they all take this beauty out for a magnificent walk.

Goddess Cassandra flowing into the final number: whoooosh.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Liked the addition of Herbie's Court & Spark, Paschal. The guitar hooked me in. Nice and laid back.

Peace!
Lee

7:18 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Forgot to say, I really like the way that yellow image stands out against the black of your page. Makes me think of sunshine, lemons, and sugar cookies.

Cheers!

7:20 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lee: I'm a bad one for attributions. The painting is by Larry Rivers (I was going with the river theme) and it hangs over at the McNay: it is my favorite painting in the whole wonderful joint.

Rivers was a multi-talent: painter, musician, poet - a compadre in the New York "schools" of art and poets.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Thanks for reminding me that we have such a gorgeous place to explore. It's been a couple of years since I last went. Guess it might be time for another visit in the near future. :)

Looked Rivers up. A rebel? Seems he has turned into a foundation posthumously and they are putting together a website about him. I'm thinking that a fans vs critics compare and contrast might tell a lot about the guy. :)

Peace!

9:30 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lee: With the huge mega-addition, the McNay is now no longer (this is heresy for old McNayers like myself) free. However, along the SAMA model, you can now slip in fee-less on Thursday evenings and, I think, the first Sunday of every month.

From all I read of Rivers, he was a wild man. How not be in that wonderfully crazy world of the New York schools, Village jazzworld thrown in?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I shall be listening! Have to dash now!

5:19 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

DM: A good taste of Joni via Herbie for you...

5:27 PM  
Blogger San said...

Good morning, Paschal. I'm just stopping by to go to your playlist and listen. I need some background music for painting today. Looks like you have lots of new posts to read, but that'll be another day.

To the canvas...

12:20 PM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

Hello,
You changed your pic again. Fun.

Oh, you make me want to hear this rendition!
I heard Diana Krall do one of Joni's songs at a tribute to Joni show on TV, she did it so deliciously that I wish she would do an entire album of Joni's songs!

Also, you are so right, I am out and about.... in Canada. What a wonderful season, wild flowers every where! Rivers rush in milky blue green glacier melt and the earth is green green green. Tis the season to wander, every chance there is.
Be well.

2:09 PM  
Blogger San said...

That made good music to paint by/under/with/through.

We have that CD too. Lush.

And thanks for posting the Rivers again. There's a fellow here in The Land of Enchantment who has done some homage paintings to LR. They dazzle.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home