Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tagged Up


By invitation, I offer:

Two names you go by (besides your given names):
1. Mr. Dillard. (At the Institute, we are all called by someone else's name; usually, they get the gender right.)
2. "My liege." (This student has his 'A' already.)

Two things you are wearing right now:
1. Less beard than yesterday.
2. Incense flung at St. Paul's Episcopal Church this morning. (Much to Walden's chagrin.)

Two longest car rides:
1. Cambridge, MA to Jackson, MS. (post graduation)
2. Austin, TX to Moscow, ID (the Christmas pilgrimage, leaving New Orleans for life in the Palouse Empire.)

Two of your favorite things to do:
1. Drive across town in cold grey wintry weather, with really good jazz on the radio. (Guess where I've been?)
2. Cross-country drive with Tina and Walden, listening to Lemony Snicket read Lemony Snicket; sorry, Tim Curry).

Two things you want very badly at the moment:
1. Thanksgiving break to be extended another, say, four weeks. (What a whiner!)
2. A really good new read. (Sorry, Brontes: it ain't happenin'.)

Three animals you have or have had:
1. Blue, the blue heeler wonderdog.
2. Sophie and Lucia, brindled mahogany bullmastiff and blue Neapolitan mastiff, respectively (sorry, they were a package deal).
3. Thunderheart, the amazing red bullmastiff baby boy.

Three things you ate today:
1. A slice of iced pound cake for the St. Paul November birthday people. (You Reconcilers, chill; we were just visiting for incense; Rec is definitely home.)
2. Communion wafer and Episco-port wine.
3. A slice of pumpkin pie. (I'll eat better for dinner; I can smell the amazing soup.)

Two things you are doing tomorrow:
1. "Going" "back" "to" "school."
2. Kissing Tina's and Walden's foreheads before I "leave" "for" "school."

Two favorite holidays:
1. Christmas.
2. Dia de los muertos.

Two favorite beverages:
1. Armenian coffee.
2. Edwards Aquifer water from the childhood wells at El Rancho Doce Robles.

I tag: The Turtle Empress.

There is no rhyme nor reason for the picture, except that the book is one damn fine read.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger San said...

Murat, I had a fiction writing class with Barry Hannah. He's a hoot. Great image choice for your pop quiz.

"You" "pass," "BTW."

"Moscow," "Idaho"?

5:08 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: I just responded to your comment, but it has disappeared.

The gist: where oh where did you write with the master? He is a monster of a writer, when on. He and his blood brother Padgett Powell have both destroyed the writing egos of hundreds of us wannabes out here. Not by design, mind; just by the example of their sheer genius.

I taught school with BH's sister Dot, 23 years ago in jacksonmiss.

Moscow ID was the only way I knew to leave New Orleans after 11 years. So, what do I find upon arrival? Mardi Gras and the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. The first perosn I met was from Metarie LA (a suburb of NOLA).

Thanks for the passing grade. I'd rather have a weather day off tomorrow. Ciao.

5:30 PM  
Blogger San said...

Wouldn't say I wrote "with" the master. I took an undergraduate-level class he taught at the University of Alabama. Ever read Boomerang? I know half the people in the book.

6:31 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Oh...oh...so you knew the man in the crazed crazy days: I believe those would have still been the high-drinkin' days, no? Back when BH book-signings at Lemuria in Jackson were damn close to a one-man Mardi Gras, BH doing his best rebel yells, in Confederate garb, with plenty of whiskey flowing. Scandalized sister Dot.

Alright, Ms San, you gotta come clean. Tuscaloosa undergrad? Just where in hell do you hail from, darlin'? Did you make it to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Anniston or Montgomery version?

Boomerang fell off my BH reading list, kind of his weak middle period.

7:20 PM  
Blogger San said...

I hail from--where else?--The Heart of Dixie. Roll Damn Tide!

Was acquainted with BH before he left my alma mater under less than happy circumstances. I never experienced the drinking and partying though. I was a straight-arrow, almost unnaturally wholesome student for those days. Of course, Mr. H. may have been under the influence when he offered me encouragement for my writing. Said "You should keep it up." He thought I could weave a plot, whereas many others were in over their heads, trying to be James Joyce.

Bama Shakespeare Festival--YES--been there, done that in Anniston with a group of faculty and students from UA English Dept. In late 70s. Smallish world, frighteningly so.

11:19 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

My folks, still ensconced in JacksonMiss, have been going to ASF since Anniston days. My first year there was, I think, in the new digs in Montgomery. Glorious theater, glorious plays. Used to go over from New Orleans and catch 6 plays for a weekend in summer.

7:22 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

That last comment should have read: my first ASF year was their first year in Montgomery.

Y'all don't exactly give off the air of any Bama roots from up in your Santa Fe digs. Of course, "accent" doesn't exactly come across in print.

Peace, cousin.

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home