Friday, March 25, 2011

poem: your wonder begs

Crudder Movie 2 the Girl in pink
shining shimmy in the quatrains

the wetlands rolled back to the times

of plenty, asking forgiveness

granting nothing but tender mercy

Caledonia in the frozen foods

acquaintance asks for little else but

piddly lost fevers

crimes committed in the hearts

stories whispered in the toll booths

of despair, cranking our way home

this was a shadow best left

in the cold, your wonder

begs the question of sovereignty

when the voice cries

to the last tomb

you ask for blessings

crepe myrtle blossoms

migrating down the

Naugahyde chakras, a veiled

reference to the patchy fires

the seeming confessions,

the brown hands of worry

the quicksand devastation

in the cruel stains

you grant not the least

of your enemies. Pink girl

was a prescient one, she

saw the flames converge,

her talents fading

by the sides

of your messianic

glory. Tilt the cross

back homeward, bring down

the dark empires

the fallen angels

castaway intoxicants

minding the beasts

the call into morning's

last

single

crimson

cry.


Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Just where is Caledonia in the frozen foods? I liked the Naugehyde chakras. And morning's last single crimson cry that come from the converging pink flames. I liked the music, too, but it seemed too smooth for the fallen angels stuck in the quicksand.

12:17 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Good morning, T: I think you're right about the music choice, though I love the song (Devil Mood introduced me to it a few years back). I wrote the poem before watching the mournfully beautiful "Winter's Bone" last night. Probably should have used some Appalachian bluegrass dirge for the poem's soundtrack.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Yes, Appalachian bluegrass would have been just right. It would have had the right amount of sassy twang with a kick of moonshine as a counterpoint.

10:47 AM  
Blogger anno said...

Those Naugehyde chakras caught my attention, too; and that closing stanza, beginning with "Tilt the cross backward," has all the majestic cadence of the very best baptist preachers -- love it!

6:16 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Thank you, Anno. Duffy and the Naugahyde chakras bring out the Swaggart in me.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

Loved the music and I haven't seen the movie yet but it is on my list. I have a feeling that the main character will not be a stepping stone either?
I loved the ending and some of the lines...brown hands of worry. That one got to me...and toll booths of despair. You - Swaggart? Never lol

6:10 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Good Sunday morning to you, Dee: Devil Mood definitely knows her music. I think you'll like the movie; I'm finishing up the book this morning and it is one awesome piece of writing. Lush in its decay.

6:36 AM  
Blogger anno said...

Though I'm not certain he was a baptist, Jonathan Edwards was more the type I had in mind. You as Swaggart? Never!

8:27 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: Damn! I'm not sure if I should take my apparent non-Swaggartiness as compliment or not. I'll work on the big hair and seedy sweatsuit. Big Jim got busted out on Airline Highway in the Big Easy during my Nawlins days. of course, he inspired a nice bit of fiction lo those many years ago. Wonder where it is.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home