Wednesday, March 02, 2011

poem: can she tender

(Former student M2 dropped the excellent first line, I kept on riffing . . . )

I am no longer the mother of beyonce &

I miss her,

sashaying down the thunderdome,

pinstripe jeans, genetic

explosions in the plissery places,

galvanized wounds

in all the sister places I

fancy down the first base

line: i ask in the abstract,

mostly Tuesday and Thursday

schedules, fiddling for the vagrant

dimes, issuing proclamations

in feral time, ignoring

the obvious psychometrics,

the caliper ways,

divining the watery festoons

in the diamond halls:

see can she tender

refuge for the biggies,

the joneses, the vagabond

teriyakis: she were your dream

before motherhood gathered you

in its frenzy, a cobalt blue diadem,

an emerald footsie toe-slam

sephardic stream.


Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dee Martin said...

genetic explosions? lol
love the cobalt blue diadem - the song is lovely but I think your poem goes more with "all the single ladies" - had a faster beat to it than this tender love song.

6:06 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Your song choice is better suited for sure; my choice ran on two cylinders: near ignorance when it comes to Ms B and my own narcissistic preference for this old Roberta Flack / Donny Hathaway ditty.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

love the words. I like "fiddling for the vagrant dimes and issuing proclamations in feral time." I also like "vagabond teriyakis" and "cobalt blue diadems" and a "sephardic stream."

I don't know which song goes best with it. It has its own melody and counterpoint that resonate with gemtone frequencies.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I also have to say that I love the picture. I thought you had gotten a great cave shot, and then I looked more closely. It's chocolate cake!! A delicious tribute to a great poem and a great singer!

1:40 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: Let's just say that it's a chocolate cave: I'm still spelunking for the requisite ice cream to go along with it . . .

8:29 PM  
Blogger San said...

That IS an excellent first line. But "caliper ways" is pure genius.

1:07 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: Mil gracias, mi Bama hermana.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home