Saturday, September 05, 2009

poem

[the aunties' passport]
for teresa

belly full, you
know I am renewing
my way
through,
past heaven's gate,
the swimmers
swimming the sublime
climb,
fisheries of our
doom. room
for all of us
in this
quandary, I
wish for home
& homes &
the casual elegance
of the stoned.
Orphans will find
their way
through me,
anticipating life
in the nether
lens, crafted
by sweet afton's
lingering breeze. I'll
to the aunties'
country when
the luggage arrives,
playing through the reeds
of my mind.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger quin browne said...

you, too, are on my fmd blogroll... thank you for the huge compliment of adding my bits of blather to yours..

i had to wait a moment to read the poem... eyes hazed over with tears, as i contemplate the current pregnancy of my 21 year old (she and her husband are expecting a boy)...

this was so nicely done.

10:09 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

qb: I've read mention of that young swimmer in the belly. Thank you for your good words.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Well, Murat, you win a gold medal in this Olympic sport. That is a truly beautiful and touching poem, and I love the aunties' passport. Thanks for the poem!

12:43 PM  
Blogger anno said...

A real beauty, this one; I especially liked the "room for all of us/in this/quandary...": a generous welcome, with sweet afton's lingering breeze.

2:44 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: You are most welcome: your passport theory was a great inspiration.

4:45 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: I'm glad you liked this; it was nice to write a "promptless" poem; "prompted" by a "conversation" with Teresa and not the usual suspects.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

I loved the line "Orphans will find their way through me". I loved all of it but if I had to pick my favorite :)

11:35 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: I liked that line when it came through, too - a riff off of Crooked Still's "Orphan Girl." I think it was on the headset at the time.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home