Friday, June 26, 2009

Tunes for a Perjantai: For Anno

From Weather Report's Mysterious Traveler album:



And because she loves him soooooooooo much, what's a Finnish Friday without Dear Keith Jarrett:



With a special added treat: a live blog of the performance:

00:22 Keith: Yes, I've cut my hair since Koln, but I can still touch my forehead to the keys. Just you wait.

00:33 Keith: Damn, acid reflux is a bitch.

00:52 Keith: No, I'm not Daniel Day-Lewis playing me. I'm me playing me. And yes, it still hurts. Damn those chili cheese fries.

01:25 Keith: God, am I that bad?

01:29 Keith: Okay, that's better. I can feel the Koln coming on.

01:38 Keith: Alright, alright, I'll play the melody for a bit, just so you know I know...

01:55 Keith: Oh, I've got it bad, and that ain't good...

02:20 Jack: Keith, I promise I will not use that high hat again - or any of these 75 other championship Sabians I got right here. There, I think that takes care of product placement, K.

03:02 Keith: Uh, Gary? Did I ask you to come waltzing in all over my solo here? I wanted that, I could've gotten Jaco, for chrissakes.

03:06 Keith: Oh, what the hell...

03:33 Keith: Jack, did I say I wanted to hear the drums?

03:38 Keith: Did you really just do that?

03:48 Keith (off camera): Look, Gary, I know you're pouring your guts out here, but I gotta tell you, there's a shitload of powder on the end of your nose. And no, I'm not implying anything.

04:13 Keith: Are you kidding me? For that, he gets an ovation?

04:21 Keith: God, I love myself...

04:38 Keith: You know what? This tack has been harrassing my ass long enough. I'm gonna just stand up here and go all Chaka Khan on these folks...

04:43 Gary: Keith, would you just sit your ass back down, and I had enuffa your Chaka Khan last night in Rotterdam...

05:02 Keith: Oh crap, I forgot the lyrics. Maybe a little Oscar Peterson, but I can't play that fast...

05:02 Gary (off camera): Sit. Your. Ass. Down.

05:02 Jack (off camera, nodding in agreement)

05:10 Keith: Yes, the shoes are hemp.

05:36 Keith: I've completely forgotten the melody. Thank god for jazz.

05:48 Keith: Here we go, folks. Can you feel the Koln, too?

06:29 Jack: This is my big solo. Hell, yes, it's the Keith Jarrett Trio.

06:38 Keith: Did you like the dramatic arm flourish?

06:48 Keith: Oh, yeah. This is what we were playing!

06:57 Keith: Ain't we something? Hi, mom!

Truth be told, I think this is quite lovely, but Ms Anno and I have a running gag about Mr. KJ and his Koln Concerts. I am guilty of foisting said marathon on not a few unsuspecting liebchens, complete with his trademark groanings and thrashings (shouldn't I have been doing the G&T?), while Ms Anno was apparently a victim in her youth of at least one (still unidentified) foister. I'm sure her groanings and thrashings were not of the kind either KJ or I had in mind.

Lest we all go Chaka Khan all over ourselves, let's let Her Diva-ness have the last say.



Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Teresa said...

Great commentary on the Keith Jarrett clip! Is Gary the bassist philosophical? It's hard for me to say.

8:10 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Great question, T. Hard to say: I think, by the looks of him, he's on work release, which doesn't really answer the big pregunta. But, to sit next to KJ and keep a straight face, that's gotta be philosophical.

8:21 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Oh, here's a sweet Friday finish to a long week, even better than chocolate. Love the color commentary to the Jarrett piece -- your notes from 05:36 might have been taken straight from my own personal transcript circa 1977 -- but as hard as I try to muster up my old prejudices, I've gotta say, for a few minutes at a time, I actually enjoyed these pieces. Maybe one of the perks of growing up?

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great idea, Professor P. I opened two browser windows, put my headphones on and followed your commentary along with the video, cracking up the whole way! What a hoot. Super-fine Friday night entertainment, it is. And free! It don’t get better’n that :-D

9:43 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

So we have yet another philosophical bassist for the record books. I'm still trying to decide if my daughter the bassist meets the definition of philosophical. She is my biggest counter-example (and her bass teacher and her bassist mentor). Maybe it's the California air that purges the bassist brain of all but sun, surf, and dinero.

10:52 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Happy Perjantai, Anno: Call it a reward for all your due chauffeuring diligence: something to beat the infernal heat. Better than chocolate? I wouldn't go that far, though I did dig the cars, oddly enough.

I actually think KJ has toned down considerably and worth even your attention - I'd just rather not have to look at him. If he were breaking a sweat, maybe there'd be some justification for all that citrus-facing, but as far as I can hear, he's about as minimalist as DeJohnette on the drums with his puffballs and vacationing Sabians.

You wanna get sweaty, that's what the Diva's all about.

11:51 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Duchess: Just what I was hoping someone would do. Dude had me falling out, as I went back and forth between windows myself, though I must say, I do like the arrangement. Ever yours, Roy Hinkley, PHD (Texas Christian University, 1957)

11:59 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ah, Ms Teresa, your backstories are showing. Now, what's not philosophical about sun, surf, y dinero? Sounds dreamy. Well, maybe not the sun: ours needs to go on back order over here.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home