Monday, April 21, 2008

This one's from waaaaaaay back


August 2005, snippet from an old class blog, in the daze before the Institute (this was adult education at its, um, grooviest). Ran across Lady T this afternoon: this snippet was from an earlier time, when I'd run across her after years of assuming her to be sadly off the radar. Well, she weren't: believe me, she weren't.

The Lady T, Part II

(pb) Friends: how be the math this lazy grey rainy morning? Wasn't that rain the best way to wake up this fine day? She-bop.

Local biblioteca served up my ordered copy of Ms. Teena Marie's latest CD, La Dona. Ms. T out of the catacombs 15 years since Ooo La La La, the Queen of Ivory is on fire, laying down 80 minutes of gotta get all this out now conflagration, she be burnin'. An unfortunate bit of WWF/telenovella to open, but for the next 78 minutes she does not miss a beat, soprano quiver ice/slice shiver to full tilt belladonna opera in the blink of an eye. Lady T can scat with the best of them - hell, she is the best of them.

(Sidebar: my son came to me yesterday and with that wry knowing grin asked: "Dad, do you know what scat is?," and he did not mean what Lady T can do...)

Be forewarned: this album is not for the faint of heart. If I ever give it back to the teca, you might want to check it out.

Because I can't stand the rain / Falling on the inside / Of my window pane / It gets so cold inside / So if you leave / Please make haste / Cause it's starting on the inside / And it just might be too late...("Black Rain")

"Ooh La La La"...it don't come better for pure soulful loveliness-funk.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Some of that "rain falling on the inside of my window pane" reminds me of San's closet post. The lyrics sound vaguely familiar but I'm not sure when I've ever heard it.

Just a suggestion, Paschal, but maybe it would be nice to have a playlist feature on your blog so that we could hear some of the songs you are fondest of.

Peace!

6:36 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lee: Ms Teena Marie is definitely worth checking and re-checking out.

As for a playlist, then I'd be a RADIO station!! Too futuristic for me. I can't even figure out how to link YouTube videos like I used to.

So, for now, Murat-ville is just tin cans with a string attached.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I generally don’t comment when you go off on a musical digression—our music preferences don’t seem to overlap much. (You do realize they have continued to record music since the 70’s, right?) But this exchange reminded me of a recent turtle I discovered whilst trolling: http://mondaynightmixtapes.blogspot.com/. The turtle wrangler in question has done just what Lee suggested, posted the music to go with his rants. It’s a pretty fun set-up he has going, you might enjoy. (Sorry about the burn, but to me, going old school is Everclear at Oyster Bake.)

:-d

12:42 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ms Alt: Trying to get a Scorpio to be less self-referential is a tough call: we're all largely pre-Copernican, back when we WERE the center of the universe.

I'll take Lee's and your suggestions under advisement: least I can do is get some bigger tin cans and more durable twine.

Or I'll keep my senior citizen music mewlings more discreet.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Awww, now my cancerian self feels guilty for slighting one of mi familia. I never claim to have good taste, just to be extremely picky. Rant on! :-d

4:55 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Ummm...next time you want to do that call me and I'll talk you through it.

Peace!

5:55 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

ALT: No need to go all cancer on yourself: we're both waterturtlers: that's what really counts. And we all be ranters, cher. Peace.

10:11 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lee: Sounds like a good summer vacation project, if the twine breaks down. Thanks for the offer.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home