Saturday, August 18, 2007

Taredartzet shnorhavor! (Armenian)

100 Words for LEDL:

Sister Laura’s birthday. Once the apple of my eye: a tiny blonde, blue-eyed angel (Miss Boo, she were, then), born in Frankfurt (we Texan chauvinists tend to forget these elsewhere nativities in our own family) 47 years ago.

Was she two, then, when we walked hand in hand down to the bakery and sweetshop off base? Back with our brown bagged treasures of brödchen and sweet tarts, bought for mere pfennigs.

I was Walden’s age. What a different time. No way in hell would I allow such an unsupervised venture.

Glad of heart to be back in her circle. Feliz.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Nice story, Paschal. I remember being sent as a child to purchase cigars for my dad at the corner store. Of course I would go alone. I guess it was a different world back then.

Peace!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

I saw two tiny girls, maybe 6 years old walking down the main street of Columbia Falls, just the other day. I found myself surprised at their wanderings out in the world, alone. Too bad I had that thought, evidence of a world tainted with ill doings.

8:59 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

You're that close to Glacier, are you? I love that place: that whole western part of Montana is heaven. 13 years ago, almost to the week, I blew out of Glacier with my Walrus tent, just in time to beat the June snow flurries that blew in. Dried out in Missoula. Two "nights" before, I'd been sitting lakeside in shorts, sunglasses on: 9:45 PM. Awesome place.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home