Saturday, January 22, 2011

poem: quaint missionaries

(The first lines were straight from the Google ad popping up on my YouTube video: yes, it stopped at car . . . )

Become a personal trainer

Get ISSA certified,

turn your passion into your

Car, a velvet backseat
kind of passion

foggy windows

Condensation wracks

the van gogh in your fingers

flesh for a sainted

bloom that wiles
your
wily fishy soul. I trained
in the withering
light,
cold air biting

the night's dreams
you
were there &
there was
an afterlife
of missing persons.
I trained
for this
in the past lives

of gravel roads, lucindas

gaining ground as you

sow what reaps blessings
from the drunken boats:
sift your mercies

for the turtle bays,
a dying grace fells

the womb in you,
tinsel-gathering
through
all the seasons of you
down the quiet streets

down the carnivaled alleys

down the avenue of trees

was the first in
them all,
was personal
training the vast
crowds
at your disposal
was fashioning bliss

the least bit on
your yeasty mind?
I grant
you
the quaint
missionaries
in their murmuring

toss-offs:
theirs are missiles
firing
through the mist,
& I,
well,
I,

I, can no farther
round than
this smattering of

this.


Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

I was thinking more of "We made love in my Chevy van..."

Great poem. I loved the term "yeasty mind". It makes me think of a brain expanding with fermented ideas.

3:50 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: Definitely a fer-/de-mented mind.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Are you implying that I am crazy?!?! You're probably just a little bit right.

5:33 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

That bifurcated comment was directed at the poet.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

LOVE the progression of :turn your passion into your car to velvet backseat lol...the next lines bring back much ahem, younger days....

mercies for the turtle bays - now I have a picture of a bay full of floating logs, turtles all lines up to catch the warmth of the sun. They train for sticking their heads back in their shells...a good idea these days (if they don't get repossessed)

quaint missionaries firing murmurs at the mist? another reason to keep your head in your shell, boys!

This smattering went pretty far if you ask me, and you didn't so I will hush now...pink martini's sound very un-turtle-ish...

7:11 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Younger indeed, though those windows do still fog up, don't they? I know the segue to Pink Martini is a bit stretched, but there is a glammy love song lurking somewhere in those lines . . .

9:18 AM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I had no idea this song was in Gilda. Probably a classic I should add to my to-see list :)
Personal training the vast crowds - ahah, I'd like to see how that goes.

5:17 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

DM: Think morning jazzercise in St. Peter's Square.

I haven't seen Gilda, but China Forbes rocks this song. (And many others . . .)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home