Thursday, March 18, 2010

scrappy

From San comes an open invitation to self-bestow the "Honest Scrap" award, yet another prompted opportunity for intentional disclosure on a "riveting" scale. Riveting? This may just be nuts and bolts.

1. The first album I ever bought, for $1.99 at the PX at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, was "by" the "group" Dino, Desi, and Billy. Sons of Dean, Desi, and Mr. and Mrs. Hinsche. Billy - having just checked - has his own web site, worked with the Beach Boys, and not without some level of redemption, also sang back-up vocals for Warren Zevon. Something tells me that Billy was probably the only member with any resemblance to a musician.


2. While we're still at Fort Leonard Wood, my favorite Supremes song was "Whisper You Love Me, Boy." Especially if I was dancing in close proximity to Norma Torres or Elaine Collard.


3. In ninth grade at FLW Junior High, I had a crush on Susan Addison, at just the time that the Buckinghams came out with their less than smash hit "Susan." This knack for having a soundtracked life continued later, when the Monkees agreed to provide backing vocals to my love of Valerie Reid.


4. I will always associate the song "Itchycoo Park" with the locker room at Fort Campbell, Kentucky's high school, because that's where I first heard it. Why there was a radio playing in the locker room, I'll never know, but what an awesome idea. I remember, too, that we were trampolining that day. Go figure.


5. For the two months I lived in Fort Campbell (very close to "Last Train to Clarksville" Clarksville, Tennessee and Edgar Cayce's Hopkinsville, Kentucky), I had a mad crush on the twins Mary and Marty Hughen. Fierce crush(es).

6. While at Fort Campbell, I won the local Optimist Club Oratorical Contest, with an insipid speech entitled "The Golden Opportunities of Youth." Sadly, the Tremeloes were not around to provide soundtracking with their hit "Silence is Golden." I was supposed to go on to compete regionally in Paducah, Kentucky, but we moved back to Tres Leches when my stepfather was sent to Vietnam . . . as an Army band conductor.


7. One of my soon to graduate seniors recently asked me if I had ever had a Zero candy bar. Did I ever - for a time, during the soundtracked daze, they supplanted my love of Paydays. I'll be damned if I can figure out how the hell I ever gave up eating chocolate. Just what you'd expect from a kid whose first album was by D, D, and B.


This is a self-selecting prompt/award. Bestow at your own risk. Your entries needn't be so "elegantly" interwoven as your Muravian host's.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger San said...

OMG! Dino, Desi, and Billy! Talk about a waltz down Memory Lane. O, the pane. The Golden Opportunities of Youth are wasted on such, no? Not to mention soundtracked lifes. We actually had a Penny Lane in my hometown in n. Bama, and it always felt magically, monkeeish. I had a next door neighbor named Valerie, but I didn't have a crush on her. The Association saw me thru my first crush.

11:15 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: Your first crush was named Windy? Or was it Mary, as in along comes? (Something for your next List of Seven!) If you were as in deep with those boys' oeuvre as I was, it may even have been Angeline, from their terribly under-appreciated Renaissance album. I assume, of course, that "Cherish" was your chaperone.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Not sure I understand the award, but the post was riveting and I had no desire to bolt from my computer :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa:

Purpose: More prompted self-indulgence for the blogging narcissists.

Glad them rivets was tight...

2:29 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

itchycoo park and Zero bars - sounds like a perfect combination. There are four Zero bars sitting on my kitchen counter right now. Found them at a store Thursday and couldn't resist - weird eh?

First Crush? (unrequited) I wish It Would Rain - Temptations, it can still make me cry

First album was Mamas and Papas, If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears. I love these memes.

8:27 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: Zero bars in an adult household? Go figure. You have much better taste in first albums; like your first crush (the boy had no eyes, clearly) song choice, too.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home