Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Afternoon with Joni...

Afternoon of slumming: speed-reading through Michelle Mercer's Will You Take Me As I Am, conversations with / meditations on Joni Mitchell. From the chapter entitled "Stuff Joni Likes or Even Loves":

"There were three trumpet players at Herbie Hancock's tribute for the Monk Institute [2007]. I was in the back and I heard the first one and nothing was happening. I heard the second one, nothing happening, we talked all the way through it. When the third one came on, I shushed everyone up in the room and listened to this guy. He was so fresh. His tone, everything was like a total original, which is hard on any instrument at this point to have an identity. So, I'm out in the wings afterwards and this kid came up to me. His head was bigger than his body like he'd had poor nutrition as a child or something. He introduced himself and I said, 'Are you in one of the bands?' and he said, 'No, I'm one of the trumpet players,' and I said, 'Oh, which one are you?' and he went 'The third one,' and I went, 'Oh, my God,' and it's so hard for me to pay an effusive compliment, it's almost embarrassing to me, and I went, 'Aahhh, you a killer! Your tone is so original, your choice of notes...' So I went, 'Where do you dribble off of? You're not like Dizzy and you're not like Miles, you're so...' And do you know what he said? He said, 'You...you.' "


[Note that, true Scorp-queen that she is, nobody gets
shushed until she says so...]

Nice chops all-round here, though it stops in the middle of a very fine piano solo...






Queen Bee's favorite Miles:





She-self, one of my favorites:



Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks you for finding this. I always wanted to see her in concert, but never did. I understand why she insisted on quiet. She always alluded the white dress, right?

11:21 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anon: I had never seen this performance before, though I've always loved this song and the title track that precedes it on the album (in old skool parlance, the title track that ends Side One, before "Song for Sharon" sails out to start Side Two). It's wonderful how "chasing white lace" threads throughout this song. In truth, Jaco's atmospheric bass was a perfect match for the haunting quality of the whole album.

8:33 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anon, ii: Saw her once, over thirty years ago, on the heels of Hejira, which is still my favorite of her albums.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

This was fine!!!

11:32 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

T: I was really digging the piano solo in the Akinmusire Quintet.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home