Tuesday, April 07, 2009

April is the cruelest meme...

Meme-aholic that I am, I am riffing off of Anno's invitational, which came to her via Goofball.

The gist:

1. Answer all, save the one question you do not like. Replace the "runt" question with a new one of your own. 2. Then, add (another?) new question. Okay, we're already off to a shaky start. Memers feel free to join in, as ye are moved.

What is your obsession at the moment?
Need anyone ask? "Everything is Illuminated," the film, and all manner of things that radiate from that luminous center. Truth be told, I am absolutely blown away by Jonathan Safran Foer's second novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, which is as finely woven a piece of fabric as I have seen in a long time, it speaks and sings on so many levels, and is positively biblical (I'm wanting this word to resound beyond any Judeo-Christian resoundings) in its reach. Tis a novel to whisper to yourself at night, its ache is so bright. Still, its genius notwithstanding, let us not forget the brilliance of EII and most assuredly the gypsy punk exuberance of Gogol Bordello.

What are you not wearing at the moment?
Judy Garland's red ruby slippers, Cyril Neville's rasta cap, Mr. Peanut's top hat, the sweaters the chicas wear in "White Christmas" (especially in the "Snow" scene on the train), my George Clinton regalia, the shirt Teddy Pendergrass is usually not wearing when things got particularly steamy in concert, my Boy Scout merit badge sash, anything at all in the spandex retinue. For the hell of it, I just doffed my jeweled African kufi.

Do you nap regularly?
I nap irregularly on a regular basis. At some point during the school week, you can bet I'll hit a wall and snooze into the early evening, once home.

Who did you hug most recently?
Mrs. Baby and Mr. Baby. It's a daily - and welcome - affliction.

What do you want to change?
If we're talking microcosmic: my Michelin tire.
If macro: the Episcopal Church's ridiculous apartheid regarding LGBTs.

What are you going to have for dinner?
Stir-fried veggies in pesto, over brown rice. And a tofartridge in a pear tree.

Your last purchase?
Organix dog food at Central Market for Blue the Wonderdog.

What are you listening to at the moment?
The hum of my computer, Tina bustling in the kitchen, Mr. Baby's exclamation that "I'm actually cleaning my room!" (totally unsolicited: the cleaning, that is), and, in my head, the song "Start Wearing Purple."

Favorite weather?
Today was pretty darn close: mid to upper 70s, sunnyblue, lightest of breezes. Could even nudge into the low 80s. Great hiking or tennis weather.

Your goals?
Write my third novel, write the play; see Isabel Bayrakdarian, Gogol Bordello, and Cassandra Wilson. Teach senior English next year (ah, Beowulf, Chaucer, Dante, Shakespeare, and Hesse.)

Say something to the person who tagged you:
Hey, Anno! Send rain (lots) and paella (even more lots)!!!

Favorite vacation location?
Doe Bay (Orca Island); Glacier National Park; Florence; Grayton Beach, Florida.

Films you can watch over and over again:
Everything is Illuminated, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice (yes, Keira's version), The Black Stallion, A Little Princess, Mostly Martha, Cinema Paradiso, Mediterraneo, The Color of Pomegranates, The Last Waltz, Chinatown, this is getting ridiculous...

What movie(s) will you never see again?
Pulp Fiction; Crimes and Misdemeanors; Mamma Mia.

Favorite tea?
Lapsang souchong.

Book you are currently reading?
Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

What do you want to do one day?
Tour Europe with Mrs. Baby and Mr. Baby. Hike a nice New England chunk of the Appalachian Trail with Mr. Baby. Go to Armenia with both Mrs. and Mr. B as well.

Which quality would you like to have?
Extra creamy with chunks of dark chocolate.

Name one of your qualities.
Rousing.

What are you waiting for?
Pynchon's next.

Which old-fashioned trend do you hope will soon return?
Kids who love to read.

One song you're embarrassed to admit to liking:
"Guilty": Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb (yikes!)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger anno said...

No ruby slippers? I'm crushed.

Bet your added question about the song you're most embarrassed to like will inspire a host of similar confessions. A Taste of Honey (the entire album!) by Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass is my long-standing, secret affliction.

Thanks for playing along!

8:43 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: Always fun to meme, and this was a good one. I pity the ones who come about 20 folks down the line - that's a long meme.

If you're invoking A Taste of Honey, then you surely recall Herb's Whipped Cream and Other Delights, an album cover many a young boy went steady with back in them there daze...

9:29 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

That's a nice, varied meme.

Which quality would you like to have?
Extra creamy with chunks of dark chocolate.

HAHAHA! Wouldn't we all?

10:28 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Your turn, DM...

11:33 AM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

fun fun fun
So glad you are not letting me forget to see 'Everything is Illuminated' and now a book too.
Nice that you are having some gorgeous weather-seems it can be a wee bit extreme in your neck of the woods. And...I am going to have to try your tea.

3:43 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Hey, Ms Lee: Things are indeed still luminous down here, and yes, our weather goes to the opposite extreme of snow in June at Glacier.

You may like the lapsang straight and black; I always included sugar and half and half. Great for your wintry spring weather...

5:10 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Whipped Cream & Other Delights! That's exactly what I meant; I love that album.

Sending rain (or at least snow melt) your way as fast as I can. If you've got grilling weather, try making paella over an open flame this weekend and let me know how it turns out. I'm almost ready to give this a try.

8:06 AM  
Blogger jsd said...

It's interesting to see which questions seem to disappear.

I'll have to netflix "Everything is Illuminated". much love

8:12 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: Thanks for the melt! Re: Whipped Cream, etc., I wrote a story back in the archives that invoked the album cover: I thought I had included the lovely image: apparently not.

Paella is the Gogol Bordello (I just loaded a truckload of GB on my playlist) of foods...

10:18 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

jsd: It is fun to see what disappears and what gets added. Happy Easter!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home