Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Rain

It's here. Finally and wonderfully.

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention all the wonderful allusions to water in "Il y a longtemps que je t'aime." Not to mention these wonderful conversations that came from places of the unspoken, both flowing with and cutting across currents of the known, the unknown, the intuited, the wished for. Late in the film, there is a wonderful view of rain pouring down, outside the room where Juliette and her sister Lea sit. All of us here in Tres Leches have known of the rumors of rain this Spring Break week; as I watched the scene, I "knew" the rain would be coming today, Wednesday.

I woke early to the first round. Walden and I walked Blue: cool, breezy, beautiful pearl-grey sky. Drove downtown to the biblioteca: came out and it was pouring. Drove up Main Avenue and KSYM ("your only alternative") plays a bopping little tune all about rain, listening to the rain. Called the station when I got home: Nathan Johnson's, sure enough, "Rain." I can do without the goofy video (except for the rain), but I'll stand by the song: it was perfect for how it felt driving down the wet streets, Tres Leches has always been such a wonderful town to drive around in the rain, and we have been so damned deprived. Enjoy the song, minimize the video if need be, just listen...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Miss Alister said...

I really like the way you wrote this and Il y a longtemps que je t’aime. It seems a little different, like your smart, smart head relinquished some control over the showplace and let your heart do a little song and dance, a little breezy, beautiful pearl-grey, a little care around this woman and her face and her story. Maybe it’s the part of you that shows up in the fiction of yours that I like. Hmph… Maybe it’s me… Well, I liked it. And the song : )

10:28 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lady A: Glad you liked. Spring break, rain, a good movie: guaranteed to bring out the sap. But, in truth, the sap is always running...

11:37 PM  
Blogger present said...

Living in the north east is a very different experience.
I love the dry desert heat and endless, sunny blue skys of the west.
What a shock to see the median on fire during the Santa Anna winds in San Diego and the experience of the sudden, violent and beautiful monsoons of Sedona!
Nice Song.

4:08 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

present: Grey dreary became an endearment during my Cambridge daze; I had to relearn the joys of big blue skies. I've regained that, but drought is still a challenge...

7:34 PM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

I have been away from your blog too long.. so much to wander through. Thank you for the tune~ You make me want to see the movie. Plus a lovely peak into your life, you words had there soaking up the rain, enjoying the stroll about town. Lovely to envision you and your son wandering about.

3:42 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Tammie: Good to have you back visiting. The rain was lovely, for three days, even down at the coast. Not quite as dramatic as the changes up your way, but much needed down here...

3:57 PM  
Blogger San said...

There is nothing like rain after a dry spell. The smell of that rain hitting the dry earth should be bottled. I believe you've done that in this post. In a synesthesiac kind of way.

6:19 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: Lord, was it ever wonderful. I'll send you some of the "product."

6:58 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

I just love rain. There hasn't been much of it round here, in fact we've had some bad forest fires because it's been 8 or 10ºC above the normal temperature.
I remember last April was a lovely rainy month, I hope it comes again at some point.

11:32 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

DM: I love rain, and San Antonio used to be a great place to find it (and my years in New Orleans, too). Too much drought, lately.

How strange, for you to be so close to the ocean, and no rain...

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home