Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Exquisite Wake


Morticians: the corpse is ripe and ready. For those checking in from other planets, Ms Alister put in a plea a while back for a tribal corpse and, just in case I resisted on purely logistical and/or ornery scorpionic grounds, deftly laid out the 1, 2, 3s of dissemination. Who could resist? I was merely the clearinghouse, sending on the cue lines to the next person in the largely unintentional rotation. My only consideration in the latter matter was not to send cues to folks that were closely clustered, so familial or filial rhythms did not segue too closely. I’m happy to identify the poets by couplets later (only via established blog identities), but I thought it might be interesting to toss the poem out first, without direct attribution. For now, suffice it to say that our poets were (alphabetically, not in order of the lines): miss alister, alt, anb, anno, chrysalis, devil mood, jsd, pmb, present, san, tammie, tsk, and wonder woman.

Nothing significant about the title: stolen from the kitchen wall…

[The Scent of Blue Smoke]

After the marriage of time and candy
The spring portraits of the descent of man
Unpegged from curled rose paper walls
Claw dust and shards in bleeding scrawls
All to say what you should already know
My offering to you, my sacrifice etched upon my body
No vanity in vain, this,
but a fair trade exchange: my fading life
my life, dumbed down:
to peas, cues, minding it, the store
but she was so sassy, the tale had to be told
of the night when she saw them outside in the cold
she couldn't stop thinking about their frosty whiskers
and how she'd like to give them a good home
however, she as she surveyed her own
what was lacking screamed for care—
She acquainted with the tear that caressed her face
In due time she loitered the sidelines of life with memories weighing down her eyelids
a slish-slosh of soul-searching trine—
ever emergent, ever cast
It is an unexpected and provocative peek, my dear
yet clenched fists can't hold, so drop the pretense
here's a true heart standing ready at your side
a friend always there, defender of your pride
a doubt always near, so easy to deride,
in the juxtaposition, dear, you continue to reside

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger murat11 said...

And let me start by saying: AWESOME. It could easily do for regrets or leaf blowers.

12:10 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Amazing! It all works just beautifully. Not a single killer pink rabbit anywhere to be found. And it was lots of fun, too. No regrets here... just the desire to maybe try this again sometime. Thanks for making it all happen.

2:47 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: It really is quite remarkable: I was struck by all the rhymes, the she's, and particularly, the two "dear's": they were really cool. I thought it rounded through quite beautifully.

Next time, we should expand: each contributor should pick a new poet, to double the size.

3:29 PM  
Blogger present said...

It's a beauty! The process was so enjoyable and the anticipation of the product, delightful.
Thanks paschal, for turning us on to ec, AND making it happen.
I am amazed by the continuity of the whole with so many contributing parts!
I look forward to the next.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

This is brilliant!
I never imagined it could appear so coherent and neat :)

Thanks for letting me have a go.

6:51 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

present: All thanks to Miss Alister for logistics and the spark. I find if everyone's hearts are in the right place, the poems can't go wrong. We done good...

8:56 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

DM: It is brilliant, and where would we have been without you?

8:57 PM  
Blogger Miss Alister said...

Sorry I’m late, guys. Austin’s not going so well (might be time for those paper enchiladas).

But hey! ain’t this great! Especially great because of the power of collaboration: the focusing of many minds diligently toward one point, the reaping of communal fruit, the best kind of fruit, the best reward. To be part of something like this has been thrilling, is thrilling. Ditto anno! The pink rabbit reference killed me! ;-) I second all the motions to do this again, this way or another way.

At first I thought it’d be fun to do as you mentioned, to identify the poets by couplets, but now I’m hanging in the balance, wondering if that might take something away from this piece, this process, maybe the very essence of the thing… Well, let’s see what the others think. I’m along for any ride with you and them any day, regardless : )

9:34 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Miss A: If we keep it amongst the current tribe, could be a chapbook in the offing. Each could start one and send it off in scrambled directions (you, of course, handling all the flow charts...).

11:44 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Very beautiful, indeed. It is always fun to do! I loved it.
Tina K

9:08 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

[Editor's Note]: Tina K is an experienced exquisite mortician from way back.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

This sure was grand, I loved the anticipation of the mix. I found it quite liberating to read a line and wonder but not care as to a direction the wave would ride and look at the wonder of words that came to be. Thank you all for this! I also would enjoy doing this again!

10:00 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Tammie: ECs are wonderful exercises in trusting the process and the people, and marveling at what the communal mind will fashion. Twas grand, indeed.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

This was so much fun! I too am amazed at how it all worked together. Community writing indeed makes for a new vision of the whole and gives much food for thought. We should definitely do this again!

Thanks so much, Paschal!

Peace!
Lee

7:14 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Glad you enjoyed this, Lee. We'll definitely kick the gong around again...

7:57 AM  
Blogger jsd said...

we did good...it all really just came together...thanks for organizing this.

ww - says that's fine.

5:59 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Champlain Girls: It was fun! Thanks for jumping in with us. We'll do it again.

6:05 PM  
Blogger San said...

The corpse is exquisite. Looks most natural.

I will return to read your other posts when I've done time in the studio.

For now, thank you, Paschal, for asking me to participate in this undertaking.

11:04 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ms San: How could you NOT be one of the undertakers?

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home