Monday, January 12, 2009

Los Exquisitors


A trio of exquisite corpses, from the Instituto juniors y yo. ECs, for the uninitiated, are collaborative poems: write two lines, fold the first down, and pass to the next poet. We wrote six altogether, and drew one as well (not the above illustration; for its attribution, go here).

i.

Young man said what he said when he said—
But, did he say what he meant when he said what he said?—
Or was it just an argument,
Bloody argument, bloody imbeciles reeling
Sun rises on the Reign of Terror
Don’t think about the meaning
(I wish I could punch you!)
“Green eggs and ham” mixed with “post secret”
The name is green.
Not the eggs mixed with a secret.
Possibly the eggs cooked by Shawn’s mom
Or a rotisserie chicken cooked by his dad Don
Juan, the cavalier rotisserie man,
A Father without legs, without arms, without
Train kept a-rollin’
All night long
They howl and scream and die and love
It’s truly terrible
That was quite a scene
She fed off her nemesis
The food of hate
She hates that food
But eats it anyway.

ii.

A peek inside, you or your charm,
The place of horrifying
Of mesmerizing
Thoughts unseen like night
There is a coat-hanger fetus
On that old computer
She was standing at my door
A jigsaw puzzle not completed
It is not as done as you are
It saved itself
With time it all became clear
Patience is a virtue
The virtue of vultures
Circling the latest corpse
I don’t want to stop
So let there be rock
Let there be light
Let there be “free will” with retribution—
The summer of 1997
Was two years before all the madness
Ever started happening
It wasn’t all madness
Or maybe it was, just depending on your thought—

iii.

The corpse next to me applies makeup
And next to her there is a corpse with a headset
At night you rub against the coffin fodder
And only the occupant of the hearse is
Perfectly human
Well, that’s up for debate
The crusades should’ve done their job
If they did a good job
The job was not well done.

[tribal exquisitors: ldm, adt, er, cm, zs, cn, pmb]

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger jsd said...

it's always interesting what collaboration can bring - what things (in this case words) trigger what.

6:43 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

jsd: These folks were quite good at corpsing. Often enough, you have some goofball who'll throw the whole thing off: this band of warrior poets were in a groove.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Very interesting results, Paschal. The first one makes me think of vampires. The second is almost as dark but seems to have moments of interaction between a young man and his girlfriend possibly soon to not be. Where do they get these images? The last line in number 3 is kind of thought provoking. What's the difference between a good job and a job well done?

Peace!

2:29 PM  
Blogger anno said...

It looks like a great time was had by all. I'm especially intrigued by that last one: And only the occupant of the hearse is/
Perfectly human/Well, that’s up for debate
.

Whenever we did exquisite corpses, there was always someone who turned it into a poem about killer pink bunnies. It's nice to see what can happen when the poets are warriors.

2:30 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lee: Cool associations: these images simply rise on cue. From where do any images come? I believe the last question is back at you...

2:54 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

anno: I was impressed with this bunch. I hear you about the pink bunnies: notice I did not invite the middlers to the ball...

2:56 PM  
Blogger Miss Alister said...

Hey, Paschal, those are really, really cool! I've never done this. Maybe we all could do one via e-mail. You could be the Master EC, the keeper of the EC in progress. You could start it with two lines that you keep to yourself except for the last line which you’d e-mail to one of us, we’d write two off from that, send them back to you, and you’d send the last line of what we wrote to another of us game EC folks and so on. Then, when you, the Master EC, deemed it time, you’d reveal the final collaborative masterpiece! Whaddya say, M.EC? Think it could amount to a HOB?

11:52 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ms A: Glad you enjoyed them, and I do believe we have enough emails in our tribe to pull it off (thanks for already working the logistics out for me). Look for you cue soon.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Miss Alister said...

Ohhh…you’re mock welcome ; ) I’m bossy when I have a vision! Many years in management…
So, Paschal, I thought I would love the waiting of it but just look at me: I’m biting my pen, can barely stand it! Will you give me an update on our project???

6:46 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ms A, my dear, that was no mock welcome: the simplest of aesthetic logistics can take six months for what Tina and/or Walden could throw down in half an hour (that's not much of an exaggeration).

Typical "management" on the progress report, no? First day and how are we doin'? Well, you've received and returned serve: now your cue went to Vermont...remember, we're corralling poets here, maybe worse than herding cats...

You will be the first to know...

Fun for all, Ms A. Thanks for the nudge...

8:21 PM  
Blogger Miss Alister said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...cats...right...
I’ll chill back down to -25C and slide back into my locker. The assistant will let you in when you’re ready ;-)

8:42 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

DOM: Ooh, la, you are in that nasty Arctic nonsense blowin' in on the Northern Fronts. Maybe the cold will speed up some of the homebound poets in your precincts, which leaves all of us down in the banana republics.

You'd think we could be faster than high school juniors...

9:41 PM  
Blogger anno said...

Brilliant idea! If there's still room on the roster, I'd love to play, too.

7:00 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ms Anno: Of course, you will be on the roster. I thought I would just mix up the evolution/rotation. You'll be getting you cue soon.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

these are so interesting to read, to see how the ball or rhythm rolls from one to the next and creates wild poetry.
I am in....

7:06 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Tammie: I knew I had some gifted writers in this group of juniors, but they all really rose to the occasion...

Glad you're in.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Due to blogger error this may be a repeat.

Me thinks I should come back and reread your comments more often, good Paschal. May I please be added to the list of creative endeavor?

Peace! & Happy Sunday!

7:01 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lee, when the next pair of lines roll back to me, I pass the cue line on to you.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home