Sunday, August 31, 2008

Karner Blue

Nabokov in hunting regalia.


Apropos of the nine year old mind pondering the meaning of the flea market he’s about to check out:


WHY FLEA MARKET?

Why not fly market?

Why not ant market?

Why not dragonfly market?

Why not praying mantis market?

Why not dung beetle market?

Why not doodle bug market?

Why not ladybug market?

Why not damselfly market?

Why not cicada market?

Why not butterfly market?

Why not grasshopper market?

Why not aphid market?

Why not cockroach market?

Why not wasp market?

Why not walking stick market?

Why not roto-tiller market? (??)

Why not killer bee market?

Why not kissing bug market?

Why not paper wasp market?

Why not termite market?

Why not western steep fritillary market?

Why not dobsonfly market?

Why not leaf beetle market?

And, of course, what he really wants to know:

Why not rare Lego market?

(We went to Toys R Us, after all…)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Tammie Lee said...

You had me chuckling as I read your list.
Speaking of rare Lego market, a while back I found and bought a box of wooden legos! I had never even seen such a thing. So cool.

12:51 PM  
Blogger San said...

June bug market? Lightning bug market? Leaf bug market? Bumblebee market? Daddy long-legs market?

When you lived in The Land of Enchantment, did you ever make it to the Tesuque flea? It's a good one, although there's a time for Toys R Us. Our Toys R Us actually closed down here, darn it. It was fun to roam the aisles there.

1:26 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Tammie: I may have to omit that piece of information about wooden Legos with mijo: that might just be too much Nirvana for his already overLego'd self.

7:44 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: I like those additions on the bug list.

Did I ever live in the Land of E? I feel as if I did, for years in my imagination, but one very brief and misguided and aborted stab at Taos ten years ago does not, methinks, qualify as tenure. Ma-nure (on my part, mind), perhaps, but not te-nure.

Never did the Tesuque flea, nor Dave's Not Here. I did manage to sleep in Mabel Dodge Luhan's old bedroom and hang out in her bathroom with the DHL-painted windows. Hollyhocks galore in the courtyard. Wrote a story inspired by the suave old Greek gentleman who owned the La Fonda Hotel down on the square and charged a dollar to see the Lawrence paintings in his office. His office was filled with shoes lined up along the walls. Loved Lobo Mountain north of town, the ranch Mabel gave to "Lorenzo" and Frieda, with his shrine and her resting place outside all the trooping turista obeisance.

Mijo decided he'll take Target over flea any day: more organized, and you always know exactly where the Legos are.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

hahaha I love this!! :D
It's also good for my vocabulary learning.

3:28 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Thank you, DM: I wish I were as fluent in as many languages as you are.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home