Sunday, September 09, 2007

From the Quadberry Archives

PATINA poems, from Quad and the Missuz:

i. & Peaches

We can’t drink it—

at least we can
write about it:
visible coffee
is a tiny strategy
april’s entrees are whipped
a satiable universe
tickles the rhyme:
more timely than cream
more stately than pie
angels sigh victorious
24 hour house recipe
aged to perfection—
but I held back.

ii.Flavor Beyond

The vigorous Armenians

red with coffee vapor
a pearl in peril
appareled porcupine
transcendent masters
sandwiched in query
a sentinel missed,
mistress aviary—
3 diamonds, a distinctive flavor
beyond spooned pineapple
wisdom recurs.

iii. Sacred Jelly

This jive java

is jilicious coffee
the jelly of the bullfrog's
starry allure.
spent in jealous fancy
a treacherous june
scooped at jim’s
the sacred jiggle
of jestered hearts.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

LOL Can we say alliteration? I didn't know that coffee had so many faces. Think I liked the bullfrogs and starry allure best although the jive java was tons of fun.

Joy!

6:14 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Comes of too much caffeine and, no doubt, hot fudge sundaes.

I like the bullfrog's demeanor, too.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I tried to write a poem about coffee once but only came up with “coffee, coffee, coffee” and a small pool of drool. I like this one, but I am of the tribe Starbuckian – we know not where we wander, only that we shall pay, and pay we must for such steamy pleasures.
p.s. I stole your sandwich. Yum. Thanks.

10:06 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

You iz welcome. Steal away. You realize, these "pomettes" be hybrids, karagulian "slash" booker. routine goes like this: pay all your spare money for babysitter, then run out to the coffeehouse for poetry on napkins. highly recommended.

always appreciate the ALT visits. peace.

10:43 PM  
Blogger San said...

There's a toughness to the language here that is quite appealing. It seems to come from yoking the Latinate abstract words with the more concrete:
"visible coffee
is a tiny strategy"
That's very cool because it sounds great rhythmically, it sets up a strange image--in my mind I see teeny-tiny cups of coffee, although that's not what was said--and it alludes to the making of poetry too.
For similar reasons, I really enjoy:
"a satiable universe
tickles the rhyme
more timely than cream
more stately than pie
angels sigh victorious"

1:57 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

San: Thanks again for the poetry visit. These "archives" were Patina poems, collaborations between my wife (Tina) and me (real first name Paschal, with the now lamentable but stuck with nickname Pat). It's cool that you drop the word "toughness" on us, since the dynamic tension often "seems" to be one of what I (often mistakenly) think of as Tina's more (let's say) "blueberry" eye and my (often misattributed) (let's say) "dicier" mouth. Tina, I think, nudges and plays, and I look for reckless tangents. I sometimes cringe as the poem is getting written down in its pieces, but am invariably struck by the coolness/rightness of the collaborations, once we read them aloud.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home