Wednesday, July 11, 2007

IN WHICH I AM THE ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY’S PENPAL

I am thanked
twice I am thanked
in four full-figured
margin justified
paragraphs, I am thanked
by Canon Flora
for the vacationing
(“taking a period of study”)
ArchBish of Cant, I am
thanked,
for my views re:
his dis of Brother Gene
not, apparently,
with respect to Petie’s Nigerian
displeasure, big boy enuff
for the big boy’s table
at the palace. Timely,
this archbishoprickly departure—
for study

Who is this Mr. Windsor Report
to whom little Rowan feels
so desperately pledged, does he
cower at night ‘neath
the admonition to
exercise very considerable caution in inviting him to the councils of the Communion…

Lest we forget
Son of Man’s very own admonitions,
was it not something
to the tune of
Bitch, get yo nasty oily hair offa my feet, me broos
would never stand for my hangin’
witcha

Zat how your Book reads, Brer Row,
on your creamy Lambeth stationery
under Flora’s nimble hand?
If so, send me, dear broo,
a copy of your Book, for
mine is badly translated.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

LOL Very well put, Murat! (g) Dummy that I am I even got all the references. Thank you! Loved your use of dialect.

Peace! w/ a good dose of humor!!!

2:17 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Thanks, Lee:

The poem was "inspired/triggered" by an actual letter I received from Lambeth Palace (oo-la-la), begging to differ with my own letter lamenting Bishop Gene's exclusion from an upcoming meeting. Pointed as my sentiments are in the poem, I was actually amazed to receive a response, albeit, I am sad to say, the "wrong" one. I know: that's not very "listening" of me.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

(cough)Well don't feel alone! I wouldn't want to listen to anyone who excluded others, especially friends of mine, based on misuse of scripture either.

This keeps reminding me of how often the phrase "be ye separate" has been misused to exclude others from companionship because the others were seen as being "of the world." Somewhere along the line, I think they forgot that exclusion is a form of punishment and thus a judging, which is God's domain alone.

Peace!

9:34 PM  
Blogger jsd said...

hoorah for sending a letter and for sharing your colorful as always thoughts

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home