Sunday, January 17, 2010

Revisiting...

It's been many years since I've read any Updike, but Friday I picked up his story collection My Father's Tears. I'm hooked again, as in the days of old, when friend Steph and I were in awe, but always felt he was holding something back, even with all the abundant brilliance. The mere mortals could only handle so much. This paragraph ended "The Apparition." Knocked me out.

"Sleepless on the verge of departure, Milford saw that this had been truth, earthly and transcendent truth, one body's adoration of another, hidden Shivas and Parvatis united amid the squalor and confusion of happenstance, of karma. He rejoiced to be tasting lust's folly once more, though the dark shape he was lying upon, fitted to him exactly, was that of his body in its grave."

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Great quote. Love the picture.

9:57 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Teresa: This was the shortest lush piece; plenty of longer ones abound.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

This piece has me almost speechless. I also wonder if I understand it. Either either, still profound and stirring.

4:01 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Tammie: I almost don't want to know for sure what's being said here: I want all the possibilities to keep pulsing.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Dee Martin said...

odd, I came here not sure I understood or wanted to - then I read the comments. I will be digging around in the library tomorrow.

10:29 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Dee: I'm surprised to say it, but I think this last book is as good a place as any to begin. Really enjoyed it.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home