Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Waning Days and Waning Nights

Researc_ Topics for t_e 168:

Digital fonts
Skinless _ot dogs
Meat analogue
Skinless skin
Skinless teet_
Missing _ Keys
LavaMan Foundations
Yuletide misspellings of t_e word “manager”
Only SUV-camping Italians
Walrus tents
_illary for Secretary of State
Rocky VI
Skinless Jell-O
_he University of Colorado at Boulder
American University, t_e MIT of Public Communications
_he University of Texas at Austin, _he MIT of Gelatin
Tim O’Brien s_ort stories
Orange evacuation plans
Typical leder_osen
Surrealistic pillows
Jordac_e jeans
Caramelized Cisneros
Calvin Klein woodsmit_s
LoserP_ace at t_e War_ol
Jacacat
T_e Bartlett Gallery
C_arm Sc_ools
Trojan domination of t_e Spartan desks
Privileged Yout_
Rodent Be_avioral Patterns
Do C_ickens Really Run Around With _heir Heads Cut Off?
_ow to Get Out of a Locked Suburban
The Potential Energy and t_e Kinetic Energy of a Roller Coaster
Boxers or Legos?
Does Celine Dion Really Look Like _itler Wit_out (or Wit_) a Moustac_e?
C_ocolate Tastes Like Veggies
I Broke t_e Legs of It
Do Computers Wear Tennis S_oes?
God Knows
Is Burt Bac_arac_ really 5’4”?
_ow do You Make Pickles in t_e Factory?
Pickles in Kool-Aid?
My Leg
Sasqautc_ Overdrive
Tamale Avenue
Camilla t_e Love C_icken

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Miss Alister said...

Well, that was a clever idea that was fun for me. Was it fun for you, too? Certainly, given your particular bad key situation, God knows it’d be safter to stick to Walrus tents on Tamale Avenue. For my part, I picked boxers over Legos, propped my leg up on surrealistic pillows and viewed Rocky VI. It was as implausible as ever, but fun :-)

1:08 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Ms A: It all started with one of my juniors wondering aloud, just what goes into them hot dogs: such calls for help are invariably calls for "research," so we were immediately off to our friend Wikipedia, where we found out about skinless hot dogs and "meat analogue," a frighteningly clinical name for veggie hot dogs. From there, I swerved on to a free associative list on the board of other possible research topics.

My middle schoolers have taken to "branding" my classroom desks, with paper "plaques" on their backs which declare their faux educational foundations. NM, he of last year's logo board and this year's parody logo board (I rent small portions of the whiteboards in my room back from him), has been using a keyboard for the second year that is sans the H key; why we both continue to live under this cyber-tyranny, I'll never know, but it is a tradition, so much so that his monitor now bears the brand of the Missing H Key LavaMan Computer Foundation. One of my other middlers has posted the 10 qualifications for admission to her foundation's desk and is now working on an application form.

You see now firsthand why I have no authority in my classroom.

5:48 AM  
Blogger anno said...

What fun! And the explanation, too.

As for teaching middle-school writing, I think that if they're having a good time without tying you up and throwing you into a corner, you're doing just right.

10:21 AM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Anno: I would answer your comment at greater length, but, um...I'm a little tied up right now.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Miss Alister said...

All that is a blast! I love the NM minus H story, the living with limitations, inconveniences. Funny how we humans like it sometimes as a diversion. I’m playing that game now with my whole station in life, where I live, what I live in, and who I live with. And it’s OK only because I know I can ditch it and go back to excess whenever I want. Take that away and I’d freak out. I love how you let the urchins have that sort of safe freedom.

10:58 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Lady A: I love how you use the word "let," as in, "you let the urchins..." The urchins would get a kick out of that!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Miss Alister said...

O’ dea’...you mean dey da ones da wea’ da pan’s in da fam?

9:47 PM  
Blogger murat11 said...

Hell, yes.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home